I often use the Speech with Milo apps in therapy and assessment sessions with preschool children. They are created by a Speech and Language Therapist and seem to fit well into therapy sessions by presenting basic language elements in a motivating way. The app I have used most is Verbs with Milo during informal assessments to establish knowledge of action words.
A typical 1-1 or small group session might go like this:
- Go into Settings/List of Actions and decide which/how many verbs to activate for the session.
- Also under Settings, turn off the spoken and written words so that you an focus on the child’s expressive language.
- Ask the child to give the mouse a name – it doesn’t have to be Milo!
- Take turns to activate each action by touching the mouse.
- Prompt the description of each action with “The Mouse/other name is…”